remember when i made cranberry sauce a couple weeks ago?
well it was good, but it wasn’t quite right. it was a bit too tangy because i used an entire orange peal. and it was missing the delicious spice of ginger that i wanted.
so i tried it again and this time i’ve got a keeper!
i made this to suit my tastes, so it’s not quite as tangy and not quite as sweet as other versions. i left out the orange and lemon peel and reduced the sugar by about half compared to my first try. i also added in minced candied ginger, which was a great decision if i do say so myself!
by sarah zinkel
prep time: 5 minutes
“cook” time: 2 minutes
ready in: 24 hours
- 1 bag cranberries (12 oz.), rinsed and bad berries removed
- 1 orange, peeled
- 1/4 lemon, peeled
- 1/4 cup candied ginger, minced
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup sucanat
- add cranberries, orange, and lemon to food processor. pulse until you reach desired consistency. i like mine to be almost liquidy, but if you like yours to be chunkier, stop sooner.
- in a large bowl, mix together processed fruit, sugar, and sucanat.
- refrigerate for 24 hours before serving to allow flavors to blend.
this batch is more like it.
not too sweet. not too tart. just right.
and in case you’re scrambling for a fruity side dish for your christmas dinner, can i recommend this?
i am back in manitowoc for the long weekend! i arrived yesterday with jake and capone and surprised liz, but brad had to work, so he is arriving this morning! tonight we’re celebrating thanksgiving at my mom’s house since liz had to stay in california last month. i might have to whip up a batch of this cranberry relish to contribute to the meal…
christmas festivities begin tomorrow with brad’s side of the family. it’s going to be a family-filled couple of days and i can’t wait!
how do you prefer your cranberries on thanksgiving, christmas, or anytime? in aluminum can form? relish? or sauce?
i really like relish, but (even though it kind of grosses me out…) i still like canned cranberries too.