with this cold weather and snow (!!) we’ve had lately, soup has gone to the top of my list for cravings.
my mom used to make pea soup fairly often when we were growing up and i always loved it! as soon as the idea to try making my own popped into my head, i had to give it a try.
i decided to go with simple flavors and not get too crazy with my first attempt.
i gathered all of the necessary ingredients.
simple split pea and ham soup
prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 5-8 hours
- a bag of green split peas (16 oz)
- a ham steak (~4 cups, cut into cubes)
- a bunch of carrots
- 1 onion
- a couple stalks of celery
- 2 cloves of garlic
- chicken broth (i used 4 cans)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp parsley flakes
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- since i wanted to use the slow cooker, i chopped all of the vegetables and the ham the night before and set everything else out.
- in the morning, i rinsed the peas, dumped them into the bottom of the slow cooker. then i added the vegetables, ham, spices, and then finally added the broth (vegetable broth or water would work too).
- cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 5 hours.
- top with plain yogurt and bacon.
this was perfectly comforting and filling. i love that it’s packed with vegetables and has just enough ham to give it an awesome flavor!
i’d say my first attempt at split pea and ham soup was a success. next time i think i might try to make it a bit spicier or add some potatoes. we’ll see!
what’s your favorite cold weather soup?
this one was delicious, but i think chili is still my favorite soup to warm me up!