i hope you enjoyed the couponing tips i suggested in part i, and that you’ve checked out those coupon blogs that i suggested.
today i’m going to give you tips on getting some great deals from your local stores, especially if they will double coupons.
if you’ve ever watched the tv show, extreme couponing, you’ve probably seen that how those people score the best deal is to go to stores that will double the coupons! now, i have only found one store* near me that doubles coupons, and it is only on wednesdays. they have a lot of restrictions on their coupon doubling, such as only doubling 5 manufacturer’s coupons per transaction, that transaction must have at least $25 of items being purchased, they will only double coupons up to $1, etc.
*the store is copp’s (i know the pick ‘n save and metcalfe’s market also follow the same or a similar policy)
however, despite all of those restrictions, i’ve been able to get some great deals by taking advantage of their doubling policy! (and nice cashiers who will let me split my order into three transactions so i can double more coupons!).
starkist tuna packets for $.19 each:
i had a buy 2 get $1 off for starkist tuna products. these packs were the cheapest at the store, $1.19 each, but i had 2 of the coupons for $1 off of two that doubled, so i got them for $.19 each!
long grain brown rice for $.95 each!
each bag was on sale for $1.95 ($2.45 regular price). i had 1 of the coupons for $1 off any 2 lundberg long grain or wild rice varieties. the coupon doubled so i got $2 off and paid $1.90 for both bags!
kikkoman panko breadcrumbs for $.23!
i had a coupon for $1 off any kikkoman product. i chose the breadcrumbs and the coupon doubled, so i got them for $.23!
and finally, i am so proud of this deal! i made $4!
i had 2 coupons for $1 off any goody hair product. i went to the store intending to find 2 packages of hair ties around $2 each so i could get them for free when the coupon doubled. but when i got to the store, i saw a tag on these that said that when you buy one at $2, you get a $2 off coupon to apply to your next purchase. i grabbed two of them, used my two coupons that doubled, so i got them for free, and then i got two $2 off my next purchase coupons. nice!
remember, the doubling deals at a supermarket don’t only apply to food items! check out their personal care products for great deals too!
i definitely recommend checking out the coupon policies of your local supermarkets and see if they have any days that they double coupons or if they will do it all the time! most of my really great deals have come from doubling the coupons.
also, when using coupons, and especially when doubling, remember to check the coupon for:
- size restrictions – usually the smallest size is the cheapest and you are most likely to be able to get it for free or just a couple cents!
- which products it applies to. example: i got those breadcrumbs using a coupon that had a photo of kikkoman soy sauce on it, but the words said it was good on any kikkoman product. the coupon can often be used for a product that’s not pictured!
- store sales – if you can match your doubled coupon with a great store ad, that is maximum savings!
- “do not double” – some manufacturer’s coupons do say not to double them, so unfortunately, this trick won’t work with those!
whew! ok, that’s probably enough for today.
i know there’s been a lot of coupon talk on the blog lately, but i’m really excited about my new money-saving hobby & i wanted to share it with you!
how does everyone else’s monday look?
mine is definitely busy! i’ve got a couple minimal goals today:
- at work: finish revisions on the journal article i’m working on and send it off to my advisor
- go to the gym for at least 20 minutes. if i want to stop after that, i can, but i need to do at least 20 minutes.
- make my creamy buffalo chicken crisps for the packers game tonight
- watch the game with my husband
and that’s it!
i think i can do it.
what are your goals for today?
any other coupon tips?